Saturday, April 16, 2016

Gotta Car Radiator Leak?

REPAIR LEAKY CAR RADIATOR DIY



How many times do we have to go to our workshop with a small leaky radiator due to the modern cars today which use plastic parts instead of the good old aluminum mono-frame radiators which are invincible in my books. More often than not, the mechanic will ask you to replace the old one, which means more money out of your pocket, not to mention what a waste to throw away a working radiator save for some small leaky areas.  

On top of that, the car has to be out of commission for a few days waiting for the new radiator to arrive and then the installation time.


My mechanic shop wanted MR1200 for replacing my leaky sports car radiator with a new radiator (and including his installation fees), even after I protested that the radiator is still good and does not need a replacement - just a minor fix to the spot that is leaking.


I ended up having to go buy all the DIY supplies to fix the radiator leak myself.  I know it can be done because I used to do it to old cars which my family bought to restore for resale in Europe.  All you need is perserverence and a systematic approach without trying to skip steps to finish the repair hastily.  A good repair job done is a radiator that would last you for awhile until you have the time and finances to completely replace the radiator.

Step One - Preparing The Leak For Repair

As can be seen in my video above, the leaking surface of the radiator needs to be prepared properly for the leak to be sealed well.  Use acetone to clean the surface thoroughly and then mix the steel grade epoxy resin  and apply directly on the leaky surface GENEROUSLY to create a even and thick epoxy layer (as shown in the video).  The epoxy cost me MR22 at Tesco - but you can find similar product at any hardware store.

You need to wait for it to cure for at least 24 hours before going Step 2 - which would involve the use of high grade puddy to reinforce the repair.  I bought the Shelly's brand puddy at Tesco for just MR16, again you can find it from other brands at any hardware store.

Step Two - Strengthening The Repair

I have uploaded the video of me applying the puddy and completing the repair.  Watch it in the next post Gotta Leak II.

No comments:

Post a Comment