Thursday, April 14, 2016

License To Grille

CAR LICENSE PLATING
malaysia cars
Malaysian Drivers Love To Trick Out Their License Plates

I had written in my previous post about how I enjoy buying local cars to restore them to their original glory - something I was not able to do in Singapore due to the high cost of cars on the island.  In Malaysia, not only are the cars more affordable, you are also spoilt for choice in terms of the make and model - given the number of rich & titled VIPs around the Peninsular - who more often than not own no less than a few cars which they would dispose of after a few years to get newer make and model of cars.  So there is no dearth of used cars for car buff like me with a budget and on the prowl for car projects to add to my kampung garage.

My only beef with the cars here in Malaysia is that the license plates they come with kinda diminish the styling of the car.  For me, I have always told my partner that the wheels and rims of a car, is like the stocking and high heels an elegant girl dons.  All dressed up and pair with wrong shoes or leggings - the entire look is destroyed - like they say - "call the FASHION POLICE"!



License Plates
Always Like The SG Plate Which Looks More European
Likewise, no matter how fierce or sleek your ride looks, put on the wrong size of wheels or style of rims - the entire styling goes down the drain.  So a car's license plate is comparable to an oufit's accessories?  One wrong match and it looks like a disaster.  Unwillingly, my partner agreed with my point of view and permitted me to change all the license plates of our cars...one of the very few battles I have won, mind you.

I like the Singapore license plate style as the letters and numbers are bold and big - and the spacing - professionally called kerning - of the characters are done almost like the European style.  So we went license plate shopping around the old Johor Bahru area - KSL Mall & Sentosa workshops - but to no satisfaction.  Most shops who display some sample signs (see below) - are most likely jobbers - meaning they take in the orders, mark up the price and make you come back a week later.  They charge around MR120 to MR160 for a pair depending on the style and quality of the plates - which for this Asing is a tad pricey - especially when I was on a budget to replace the plates on a few cars.

MR120 For One Pair Of New License Plates - Double The Price!
So imagine my absolute ecstasy when we were on way to the Premium Outlet for browsing one day and we drove pass the most brilliant sight I would never have imagined seeing - LICENSE PLATES HAVEN!  But to my acerbic-tongued partner, it was more of a license plate graveyard because all these plates (in the photos below) were discarded after the drivers drive off with brand new plates - leaving the two brother owners to give them their final resting place!
asinginjb
Si Nai Plate & Sign Maker - Creative Brothers
Asinginjb


Si Nai license plate & signcraft shop is a non-descript shop along Lebuhraya Senai near 55 Senai Highway, Taman Senai Utama.  When you are driving near it, keep left and slow down (turn on your hazard lights) so that you can find the shop as it is tugged inward further than the shops along the road, so you may miss it if you are driving too fast.  Look out for Trust Tech tire shop - they are beside each other.  I got my Singapore-plate-esque license plates for just MR60 a pair and they make it right before my eyes - heaven! I was able to control the type face, the kerning and the type of plate material too. 

The brothers who own the shop also hand make and paint beautiful kites - which my girls absolutely love.  If your kids or yourself do not fly kites, they could make great wall art to dress up a bare wall?  By the way, the shop is just 5 minutes drive to Johor Premium Outlet - there, you can kill two birds with one trip!
Malaysian Kites


The Plate Maker Is Just Next To Trust Tech Tire Shop

You can go Jalan Jalan for license plates and kites at Si Nai near 55 Senai Highway, Taman Senai Utama, Senai, Johor,
Tel: 607 599 9104
Email: www.longwu@gmail.com
GPS Coordinates: 1.6042338, 103.6469638

No comments:

Post a Comment