Sunday, November 9, 2008

Why Singapore Malaysia Thailand?

Three Pronged Strategy To Passive Income

In my previous post on the above subject, I had mentioned that STEP ONE of my strategy is Making Money In Singapore through property investments.

Passive Income From Singapore Stretches Far In Malaysia
Well, this is STEP TWO - which is to move out of Singapore or any high net worth (read: high cost) locations where you have already invested your money on a property for passive income.  You see, if you live in the property you had bought in the high net worth city - like Singapore - your high value property is not generating income for you as you are living in it.  Instead it becomes your high expense - what with the high property tax, exhorbitant maintenance fees and what nots. 

Trust me, wherever you live on Singapore island, the opportunity cost is sky high.  You are better off investing on a property in the city state, but living off shore like Batam or Malaysia.  That is not to mention the savings your get from expenditure on transport, medical & dental, food, utilities, and other daily expenses, which would be much lower if you were to live in the island suburbs or like me off shore in Malaysia where it is more laid back (read: low cost).  In my adopted homeland Malaysia, there is a plethora of choice in new and lived-in homes and condos in Malaysia - Penang, Melacca, Kuala Lumpur and Johor Bahru. Or you can visit TheEdgeProperty or PropertyGuru for great values in the current down market.

Great Thai Real Estate As Retirement Home?


My other investment property is in Thailand - albeit a small condo studio which I rent out under the special agreement that I am allowed to stay a few times a year when the tenant is travelling.  And there is a host of gorgeous houses and apartments in Thailand and especially in  Bangkok. 
 
Swanky!Don't you just love these houses? Visit www.bangkokrealty.biz/houses.htm

 
Great Driveway!

For more beautiful condos and apartments in Thailand, visit ThailandCityReaty or
 
This leads us to STEP THREE in which I will detail what I mean by Make Singapore Work (Step One), Live in Malaysia or other low cost off shore countries (Step Two) and Play in Thailand and Beyond (Step Three). These three countries are what I grouped together as my Golden Triangle of adopted homelands for living in and commuting between.  You can find your own Golden Triangles - but so far, I find that in South East Asia, Singapore offers the highest potential for passive income from property investment, whereas Malaysia, by virtue of its proximity and friendliness to Singapore, makes a great "Live in" country.  As I mentioned, there is Batam and Bintan in Indonesia - but I would rather be driving into Singaopore than taking scheduled ferries whose timing may be unflexible.  And of course as for "Play In" Thailand, it is just my preference for the Land of Smiles and its fantasic offer of food, spa, shopping and medical options, to name a few.  Some of my friends actually prefer the Philippines and even Vietnam, that is all fine and dandy as long as you make your Golden Triangle of adopted homelands work in unison for your passive income living.
 
Now moving on to STEP THREE of my 3 Pronged Strategy towards creating passive income to fund a simple financially independent lifestyle, just like the one my family and I are enjoying...and I hope you can too in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment