Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Antiques & Furniture Restoration

YOU SAY PARK MALL, I SAY HOCK SIONG

furniture restoration
Thank God The Couch Cushion Was Saved By Our Reupholstery Uncle
Lying on my "new" reupholstered faux leather couch, I cannot help but thank our kind reuphosltery uncle at Perling for meticulously restoring the damaged fabric cushions which Cat and I had managed to ravaged through the years - it with the claws and I with the grease and sweat from my reclining head.
Cat & I Were Anabolical To The Poor Couch
I know, looking at the before photo above, many would have believed I either have anger or hygience issues.  But truth be told that fabric furniture and I just do not go - so I promised my partner I would personally lug those damaged cushions (and the good ones too) to our upholstery genious at Perling to have them rejuvenated.  It cost me just MR60 per cushion and voila - we have a new couch nesting in our family room, and all it took was the hassle of transporting the cushions, some patience as the old uncle works at his own pace, and whole lot of love for the old and not throwing them out.
Speaking of not throwing old stuff out, I see a emergence of pre-loved items on sale in Singapore since a few years back.  My go-to for such pre-owned, second-hand, antiques - please use whichever nonmenclature you prefer for these beautiful classics - is none other than Hock Siong in Singapore.  My family home in Singapore has so many of Hock Siong furniture and decorations that whenever we meet the owners of Hock Siong, I joked about my home being a Hock Siong showroom. 

 
The sprawling Hock Siong store is run by the affable patriach and matriach of the family who keep their hardworking staff happily busy with container loads of furniture and other  furnishings from hotels, embassies and property showrooms who need to dispose of these perfectly fine assets due to renovations, relocation or cease of business.


The owners' daughter also helms the marketing of their blooming business, introducing social media marketing into the promotional mix, whose effectiveness can be substantiated by the fact that each time we get alerted on some nice new arrivals, they are more likely already sold than not by the time you head down to the store on the weekends.  So my shopping strategy at Hock Siong is to visit it quite regularly - they have new arrivals almost weekly - and then either reserve or purchase the items on the spot before they are taken.

Contemporary or Classic, Hock Siong Has Them All
Restorations Like The Above Chairs Are Great Conversation Pieces!
We have bought dining chairs, cabinets, garden furniture, and even hotel chandeliers of high quality at Hock Siong.  And we have spent countless hours sanding the furniture down, restain or repaint them, and painstakingly transporting them for reupholstery.  But it was all well worth it.  Not only do your furnishing pieces become custom one of a kind furniture, they are great conversation topics.  And the best thing is you do not need to spend an arm and a leg for high quality furnishings.  For example, a dining chair averages S$55 a piece, coffee tables at S$150, nice Victorian frame art for as low as S$20 to S$40.  For the lazy bone in some of us, I believe Hock Siong does some of the furniture restoration themselves - perhaps ask your friendly salesperson whether they can coat the wood furniture in your preferred color or just give it a new varnish and voila you do not even have to lift a finger.

As for my family and I, we take the restoration of the furniture from Hock Siong in our stride.  One day it may be the whole family settling down at the outside pation sanding the wood, another day it wouod be giving the furniture a fresh coat of varnish or paint.  Rest-assured your children would enjoy the process - they may lament about being away from social media for so many hours - at the end of the day, they learn a new skill and the parents get their quality time with them.  Happy Jalan Jalan at Hock Siong!

HOCK SIONG

153 Kampong Ampat #01-03 Junjie Industrial Building Singapore
Tel: +65 6281 8338 Opens Daily 9:30am - 5:30pm

UNCLE LUM REUPHOLSTERY

Sing Heng Cushion Center 127 Jalan Rawa, Taman Perling, Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Tel: +6016 798 5096

No comments:

Post a Comment