Friday, April 29, 2016

Singapore Malaysia Railway In Backyard

FMSR RAILWAY SLEEPER WOOD RESURRECTED


The photos below are from Wikipedia when I researched for this post on the railway sleeper wood strips which I had bought from BL Blooming nursery in Johor Bahru recently. 

FMSR Dispute
Federated Malay States Railway At Tanjong Pagar Singapore

I could not resist buying the huge chunks of history after the owner of the nursery told me they were taken from the now defunct Federated Malay States Railway which plied Johor and Singapore since decades ago.  Before the Johor-Singapore Causeway across the Straits of Johor was built, the railway in Singapore was limited to routes on the island only.  The construction of the causeway began in 1919, and it was opened to goods trains on 17 September 1923 and to passenger trains on 1 October 1923. Previously, passengers and goods were transferred at Woodlands to a ferry to Johor Bahru and the connecting train on the peninsula.. Tanjong Pagar railway station was completed on 3 May 1932 and officially opened by Sir Cecil Clementi. It was in operation for around 79 years before it ceased operations on 1 July 2011 to be reserved as the Singapore Railway Museum.  Thanks to Wikipedia I learned of some pieces of history which I had now in my backyard.

You Can See The Strips Of Sleeper Wood Above 

Another very interesting nugget involves my favorite current King of Malaysia, Sultan of Johor.  I bet many do not know that the last train out of Tanjong Pagar was driven by Sultan Ibrahim Ismail of Johor, whose grandfather, Ismail of Johor, had opened the causeway between Singapore and Malaya in 1923. The Sultan had to learn how to drive a train before he was able to perform this task, receiving training from Keretapi Tanah Melayu (KTM), the main railway operator in Malaysia. Two drivers accompanied him to ensure the safe sending of the last train out of Singapore back to Malaysia for good.  What a grand and meaningful  send off involving the sporting and gregarious Sultan. 

You can surmise why I could not resist buying 6 pieces of the railway sleeper woods when I saw them.  At MR120 per piece, I say they were a bargain for the rich history they represent of Malaya-Singapura past and present association, which is inextricably linked no matter how people try to view Johor and Singapore as separate entities.  In fact, I dreamed recently of a merger between Singapore and Johor!

Anyways, I digressed.  Finally this week I was able to put two pieces of history into good use in my house.  Our patio was in need of an informal bar counter. So I thought why not use two odd railway sleeper wood and combined them using steel rod and bolt them together to form a unique rustic bar counter?  You can see below how I bought a huge drill bit (for just MR50) and bore through the sleeper wood so that I can bolt them together to form the counter top.
In the video below, you see how easy it was to pass the steel rod through the holes I had created (but ensure the holes are aligned properly) before being bolted together.  Each wood is so heavy that I did not even have to use any wood nail or epoxy adhesive to stabilize them on the concrete base which I had created economically using hollow concrete bricks.  Voila, we have a nice conversation piece rich in history right in our house!
For those who prefer the railway sleeper wood without the ironmongery on it, the nurseries do have them for sale as well.  For me, I had intentionally asked BL Blooming nursery to find pieces with the ironmongery for the added authenticity.  When the wood and ironmongery have been properly prepared, I will coat them with clear varnish and  anti-rust respectively to withstand the inclement weather patterns. 



No comments:

Post a Comment